4 Common Home Fire Insurance Coverage Questions Answered

When applying for home fire insurance, you must be honest and disclose all relevant details about your home. This principle allows the insurance company to estimate your risks correctly. Lying or omitting some details can jeopardize your claim in case of a fire accident. 

Also, you should know that you can only claim the amount of the loss sustained. So, in case of partial destruction to your home, your compensation claim can't exceed the value of the damage done.

This article will address common home fire insurance coverage questions.

Do You Need Additional Coverage?

While most homeowners' insurance providers cover fire damage, you will need additional coverage if you stay in a fire-prone area. For instance, if you live in an area that experiences heat waves that frequently trigger home fires, you will need to apply for extra fire insurance. Usually, fire liabilities are expensive, so some insurance companies avoid providing cover to high-risk homeowners.

What Should You Do If You Are Turned Down?

If you need additional fire coverage and are turned down by multiple insurance providers, you should consult an independent agent. The agents usually work with various companies you may not even know about. This advantage increases your chances of getting standard coverage in the open market. 

However, if you aren't lucky, the expert will assist you in applying for coverage in your state's FAIR Plan. Ensure you have evidence of your previous declined applications to prove that you couldn't purchase insurance from private companies.

What Do You Need to Do to Avoid Unnecessary Disputes?

Your home fire insurer must provide you with claim forms within a few days after you alert them about your issue. Ensure you save a log of all phone calls, messages, and any communication with claims adjusters and other insurance representatives. 

Also, you should secure letters, receipts, and other relevant documents. This precautionary measure will help you avoid disputes. For example, the adjusters may accuse you of failing to file your claim on time, not showing up to a meeting, or not returning calls.

What If You Need Temporary Accommodation?

If your home is completely damaged and you need somewhere to stay as you wait for your home to be rebuilt, the insurance company can provide temporary accommodation. The company can pay for your hotel expenses or give you a living allowance to help you find shelter and buy clothing. If your home only needs repair, the fire coverage will take care of the repair costs. You will also get compensated for personal belongings like furniture and appliances.